I was going to tell you about Boston today, but then realized the countdown is on for Glass City!!
Yikes, 3 more days? These past 18 weeks have just flown by, haven’t they?
It’s time for those last minute details, which include, but are not limited to…
- Race day outfit! Comfort. Fashion. It needs to be both!
- Fueling for race day. Do I have my breakfast food, and what about GUs for the race?
- Transportation plans. Check. Catching a ride with friends to the start.
- Throw away clothes. I think I have some in my closet. Will also be wearing arm warmers (socks!). Doing a gear check/bag drop? Not sure yet. I think trying to figure out the right temperature of clothes to be comfortable in is a bit stressful!
- Playlist. Still need to make sure I’ve got my favorite songs loaded on the iPod to keep me moving through those 26.2 miles.
- Speaking of which… time goals. Make sure my goal time is calculated based on a distance of 26.4 miles, not 26.2 because courses rarely end up that distance.
- Pace band? Nope, going to write my goals on my arm! Easier to read. Sharpie is ready.
- Body Glide. Make sure to set this out so I don’t forget!
- ID. Make sure I have my drivers license for when they card me at the post-race beer tent. HAHAHAHAHA. Totally joking.
- Self tanning. Check. Going to have a golden glow in just a few days. Or at least an odd orange stained look.
- Race day support. Where will my family be cheering me on?? Still need to nail down these details so I don’t miss them.
- Nasal strip. Traveling has given me a little sniffle (actually, my kids gave me the sniffles, but let’s not place blame…) so I might need this to help me breath freely!
- Imodium. Don’t forget this either! Never had an issue, never want to.
- Post race pain meds. Yes, the pain is real. I’ll need these for sure
Well, that’s what’s spinning around my head this morning. All of those little details are a lot to think about. I’m sure I’m missing something. Above all I need to remember my training, and keep positive thoughts.
One of my favorite signs from the Boston weekend was this:
“Wicked hard.. but you got this”
Words to live by
Q: Did I miss anything? What details do you check before a big race?
Q: Do you use a different distance (different from the race length) when calculating a race time goal?
Q: Have you ever made a bad mistake when selecting a race outfit? Too hot/too cold?