Hello May!! Wow, May already. The countdown is on. My kids only have 4 more weeks of school left! Yikes! While April was a blur, May will be a time for me to refocus. I’ve thought of a few goals I have for May….
1) Fix the sore hamstring/glute issue. Sure, this one is a long shot. BUT, I have learned one thing – running is not the only thing that causes the my soreness. I have not run since my April 23rd half at Glass City. I took several days off prior to the race, and still haven’t run yet. Going into the race I was not feeling pain. In fact, I came out of that race feeling better than I had prior to it! FREAKY. I didn’t even feel my strained left hamstring which bothered me the most.
However, as soon as I started back with the lunges, squats and other challenging PT exercises, I was feeling the pain. So my thought is that if I continue with the exercises, the pain will eventually go away. I mean, it has to, right? As an example, the first time a person starts lifting weights, their arms will be really sore, but the more they do the weights, the body gets stronger and it doesn’t hurt anymore.
So that’s my plan – keep up with strengthening exercises and see where that takes me. I have a tracking sheet which I use everyday to make sure I keep up with at least part of the exercises on a daily basis.
2) Train for my first trail marathon! I’m running the Mohican Trail marathon on June 17th. That gives me about 6 weeks to prepare for the race. Normally I would say someone is out of their freaking mind thinking they can train for a marathon in 6 weeks, but my husband assures me that this is a totally different thing and I won’t need to run that far. I haven’t put my pen to paper yet, but I’m thinking I’d like to run a max of 16 miles as a long run before the race on some trails and I should be set. Famous last words. LOL!
3) Along that same line… training will be focused on quality trail work, and NOT speed. Speedwork has not been my friend for the last year, so I’m holding off on that for a few months. I’ll be back as a coach in the Dave’s Training PR5K program in June & July, so I’ll get plenty of speedwork as part of that job, and that will be enough for me!
4) And now for the random contradiction… I’d like to place in my age group at the May 20th 5K I’m running! I checked the times for last year and I could have easily taken 1st in my age group last year, so that’s what I’m shooting for. I’m not telling you the name of the race because if any of my speedy competition is reading this post, I don’t want them to show up! (hahaha! but true)
5) Chill out on my training. After talking to Matt Fitzgerald, and listening to several podcasts about training, I’m ready to just try something different and focus on running LESS. Cross training more – cycling and treadmill walking. Strength training more.
6) Burpees! Here’s another odd one. In my hiatus from running I decided to try 10 burpees one day. You know what? It was the most exhausting 5 mins that I’ve ever had!! I got to 3 burpees and I was full on panting. That made me think that it’s a great cardio challenge and I’d like to see if I could improve how I felt doing them. I’m going to try to bump it up past 10 burpees, but for right now, they are still exhausting and rewarding all in one.
So that wraps it up. How about you?
Do you have any goals for May? Any big races you are training for? Personal goals?? Let’s hear them!